Thursday, February 2, 2012

Who are Argentinians?

Perhaps the most important thing to learn before traveling to Argentina and Chile is about the people I will be interacting with each day. This past week, we discussed the general values and attitudes of the Argentinean people, including their religious beliefs and work ethics. In Argentina, the family is highly valued. Family gatherings are frequent, the idea of having children is taken very seriously, elderly parents move in with their children, and many young Argentinians live with their families until they get married. Unlike many American teenagers, a majority of Argentinians choose to go to university near their home in order to keep the family unity. Although, I guess you could say I'm a bit Argentinian in my thinking since I attended university just 20 minutes away from my home!

When visiting some of the businesses and companies in Argentina, I will be looking out to see if what I've read is, in fact, true. The author of our book explains that teamwork in the workplace is not something that Argentinians are comfortable with just yet. I think this will be an opportunity for us to learn something from them and vice versa. It will also be interesting to see how the large, international corporations like HSBC and IBM (we'll be visiting both!) differ from the small, local businesses in this way.  

While in both Argentina and Chile, we will also have the opportunity to observe cultures that are more than 90% Roman Catholic. I'm looking forward to seeing some beautiful churches and seeing how the religion influences both cultures. Coming from America, where there are countless forms of religion and a real separation of church and state, it will be a great learning experience.

Class tomorrow should be interesting, as we'll be discussing Argentinian festivals, customs and folklore. I wonder if we'll try to tango!?

No comments:

Post a Comment